Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Does one need a license in India to drive???

Here it goes...it was one of those days when my friend unknowingly asked me if I possesed a license. Now, he was not going to fine me and I found out an opening to give a boost to my super latent EGO. So, I gave him a big smiling "NO" whilst explaining him my past driving record (didn't get caught for almost 9 years of driving without a license). The reasons for this could be many. Firstly, I am very lazy to shave (no other meanings here). Secondly, I have an innocent and decent but deceptive appearance.

Getting back to the topic, so the friend of mine started praying (which he never does normally) that I get caught. Now, destiny has its own way and Mr. me didn't get caught even after my 140 kms ride to and fro (to nandi hills) apart from my biking stunts within the city (exaggeration, I know, but looks good!).


Climax - This friend whom I would prefer calling Mr C, goes out to buy protection for his inners (imagine that for a bike ride). Destiny calls its shot at this opportune moment when a traffic police catches them. Here is the scene that takes place from there on.

Traffic Police: Do you have a license?
Mr C: Yes, I do (shows him the same), uses a bit of kannada to impress the policewala

Traffic Police: Cracks a funda and asks for the co-rider's license too. His funda - the co-rider could also be driving
Mr C's co-rider: I have the license too

Traffic Police: Show me the Pollution Cert.
Mr C: Enacts to make believe that he is innocent and forgot the Cert back hom

Traffic Police: 1000 Watt bulb glows in his face while his mind is quickly calculating the amt he could extract from these rabbits
In his mind...no pollution cert and lots of shopping done. (Unfortunately the shop wala gave them a big cover for a small purchase :) ) So, these people must be IT guys. Earning how much?? Forget it... can they pay me 50....nah thats too small an amount. How about 100....I need to buy my kid that new toy on the block and hence fixes the price.

Traffic Police: Pay me 100 bucks or go to the court
(Now, court is a taboo in the present scenario and so Mr C starts calculating the opportunity cost of giving him 100 bucks and getting out)
Mr C: Will 50 do? (Seeing the Traffic Police's face decides against bargaining and with a sad face gets out a 100 rupee note and vanishes from the point)

Moral: No matter what you do, you just can't escape destiny. If not for a pollution cert there would have been some other route for these people.

In this context I don't see the need for getting a license for myself. Do you????

No comments: